Twitter Facebook Youtube Facebook

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Invisible

With their latest song "Invisible," the band U2 recently joined with Bank of America to raise funds for (RED) to fight AIDS. As lead singer Bono explains the inspiration behind the song, he remembers coming out of a subway station and feeling unhip in a crowd of people. He recalls that people "didn’t see you in the crowd, you were just invisible."

This feeling of invisibility combined with a desire to be seen is highlighted in the song's chorus:

I’m more than you know
I’m more than you see here
More than you let me be
I’m more than you know
A body in a soul
You don’t see me but you will
I am not invisible

This is a feeling shared by millions each day, the feeling that we are just part of a crowd; the feeling that we are invisible to most around us. If we're honest, we don’t see many of the people around us each day. They are just invisible, nameless people who cross our path and are gone. It may be the mom at the grocery store struggling to provide nutritious meals for her family, or the businessman in the seat across the train who commutes 2 hours each day, or the homeless man at the train terminal who is trying to keep warm.

In Matthew 19:19, Jesus tells us to "love your neighbor as yourself." As a member of The Salvation Army, I believe that these "invisible people" are my neighbors. I am humbled to be part of a movement that reaches out to the invisible to "meet their needs in Jesus' name without discrimination." Whether it’s a food box, family programs or shelters, the invisible are seen by The Salvation Army.

Perhaps, like me, you want to focus more on the invisible around you. I would encourage you to reach out to your local Salvation Army to donate your time making the invisible visible.

Written by Richard Pease
Divisional Controller

0 comments:

Post a Comment