Twitter Facebook Youtube Facebook

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Offering



It's the small things in life that truly capture my eye. Things like the smile of a child and that light in his or her eye that glows and shines beyond anything I have ever witnessed in life. Moments like these are captured flawlessly by my mind like a photograph, and they remind me about the love and word of God. One child in particular named Jayden, a small young boy in my Corps, left me with an unforgettable portrait. 

One Sunday morning during announcements, he tapped my hand and whispered, "Elizabeth guess what?" I looked at him with curiosity and responded, "What?" He smiled so widely as he cradled something out of his pocket. "What is it?" I asked. He opened his little fist and showed me two pennies, and his little eyes glowed with excitement. Then, he sat back and anxiously waited for the announcement to end and the time of offering to begin. As the time came, he smiled at me then became nervous. He asked me to walk with him, and I did.

It meant so much to see such a young child present an offering to God. Two pennies doesn't really seem like much. However, to this child, two pennies meant everything. It brought me back to the story in the Bible about the widow who gave two small copper coins in the offering box. The Bible tells us that “Jesus looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the offering box, and he saw a poor widow put in two small copper coins. And he said, "Truly, I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all of them. For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on." (Luke 21:1-4)

Jayden reminded me that it isn't about how much you give but how you are giving it to Him. He presented his offering with a willing heart, full of love and excitement for God. Even if he didn’t quite understand that, it was powerful to me. It reassured me and taught me that nothing is too small for God. I've convinced myself time after time that what I have to give to God just isn't enough, nor can it be compared to all He has done for me. My all isn't always a lot, but God says it's enough, and that amazes me. God receives all that we give with a willing heart and blesses it no matter how small. Deuteronomy 15:10 tells us to "Give generously to Him and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to."

That day in offering, Jayden gave more than anyone in the congregation. He offered to God all that he had, a big heart along with two small pennies, and that was the greatest offering I have witnessed. Not only do I believe that God will bless his little heart, but through Jayden, God has blessed me.

Written by Elizabeth Ramirez
Newark Ironbound Corps

0 comments:

Post a Comment