Twitter Facebook Youtube Facebook

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

WWJD in 2015

It’s time for New Year's resolutions. I have made many over the years. Some have been broken within the first week of the new year; some have lasted a little longer. Almost none have lasted beyond January. They have been varied, such as my annual resolution to lose weight, or my hope to do a better job of keeping in touch with friends. I am sure you can add your own resolutions, made with good intentions each year, and then soon forgotten.

I have a new resolution this year. Some years ago, I received a key chain from my son. It is simply a ring to hold keys and attached to a leather lace that has four pewter beads. These beads are embossed with the letters W W J D - "What would Jesus do?"  


I have carried that key chain for almost twenty years. The leather lace has been replaced, and the keys have been changed as I moved to different locations. But the message has always been the same and is appropriate in every situation - "What would Jesus do?"

This year, I am not going to make resolutions that I know will not last very long, no matter how good my intentions are. I am simply going to ask myself that very important question whenever I face a moment of indecision. It reminds me of the story of a church in Strasbourg, France.

During World War II, a church in Strasbourg was destroyed. Nothing remained except a heap of rubble and broken glass, or so the people thought, until they began clearing away the masonry. Then, they found a statue of Christ still standing erect. In spite of all the bombing, it was unharmed except that both hands were missing. Eventually, rebuilding of the church began.


One day, a sculptor saw the figure of Christ, and offered to carve new hands. The church officials met to consider the sculptor's friendly gesture - and decided not to accept the offer. The message of the broken sculpture remains even today. Christ has no hands to minister to the needy or feed the hungry or enrich the poor - except our hands. He inspires. We perform.

While serving with The Salvation Army in Germany, I visited an elderly woman, living alone in a small, sparsely furnished apartment in Stuttgart. I spent some time with her, giving her an opportunity to share what was on her mind. Before I left, I asked her if I might pray with her. She agreed readily, and I took her hands in mine and bowed my head and prayed, asking God to bring a special awareness of His presence with her in her loneliness. When my prayer was finished, she thanked me and said, "You are the first person who has touched me all week!" That little gesture of kindness assured her she was not forgotten. It was what Jesus would have done.

That's what I want to do in 2015; I want to ask myself that question each and every day. I know Jesus will guide me to do what He wants. How about you?


Written by Gloria Hohn
Asbury Park Corps

0 comments:

Post a Comment