Twitter Facebook Youtube Facebook

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Even the Dark Side Can't Hide from the Joy of the Christmas Season

Each day, I get Google alerts for news items from the Internet that contain Salvation Army in them. This time of year, I generally see 80 to 90 a day flow through my email, and if I'm lucky, I fully read 2 or 3 that catch my eye.

The other day, I was grabbed by the headline "Darth Vader as a bell ringer?" from an article on Mlive.com that reported on a Grand Rapids group of Star Wars fans who stood at a kettle for us last Christmas. While it was an old article, I couldn't resist seeing a picture of Darth Vader, bell in hand, at a kettle. The image got me thinking about what Darth Vader's character represents in the movies, the Dark Side of the Force, and while Vader is fictional, the symbolism is inescapable. At this time of year even the Dark Side can't resist helping a neighbor in need...

In Scripture, Jesus mentioned this concept in two passages. In Matthew 19:19 (NASB), He tells us, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself," and in Luke 6:31 (NASB), He says, "Treat others the same way you want them to treat you."


During the holidays, it seems that our hearts are most open to these messages - as most of us can't fathom the idea of our neighbors not having enough to eat or a warm place to call home. Regardless of the holiday that one celebrates, it seems to me the feeling is universal and transcends social, political and theological beliefs. Perhaps this is why the image of Darth Vader helping at a kettle caught my eye. I sometimes wonder what the world would be like if we didn't limit our generosity to Christmas. Perhaps it's time to consider allowing ourselves to see those in need year round? If we did, maybe the joy, peace and hope we feel during the holidays would always be present.

Whatever holiday you celebrate, I pray that you feel the joy of the season and the love of your neighbor.



Written by Richard Pease
Divisional Controller

0 comments:

Post a Comment