Twitter Facebook Youtube Facebook

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Spring Has Sprung

The signs of spring are all around me – warming weather (most days), green shoots appearing in the garden, and my beloved New York Yankees are only days away from their 2014 season opener. These signs give me pause to consider the miracle of rebirth that happens so visibly this time of year.

Before moving to New Jersey, I spent several years living in Southern California where I hardly noticed the arrival of spring, as winter in San Diego merely means you don’t get up to 70 degrees. Here, however, winter is evident in the cold days, gloomy skies and inches of snow. So, when I start to see signs of life in the garden, I get impatient for warmer weather and fresh air!

This rebirth of nature also prompts me to consider the rebirth that I have experienced through Christ. I am reminded of Paul’s words in 2 Corinthians 5:17 – "This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!" (NLT)


What an incredible promise and transformation; all of my sin and decay has been replaced with new life and righteousness. To me, it is the single most important truth of the Bible, a real, personal relationship with Christ results in a new me!

I am given pause to think about the thousands of people I have encountered in my time with The Salvation Army who have experienced this same rebirth. Whether they are graduates of our Adult Rehabilitation programs, young people who have attended our camps, or volunteers who have packed food boxes, people see Jesus and accept His offer of a new life at the Army. We don’t force it on them; we just live by Biblical principles, and they are drawn to ask why we are different. I think that this is an incredible testimony to the life changing ministry that is and has been since 1865 - The Salvation Army.


Perhaps, today, you are in need of new life. Why not reach out and ask for it? We’re here to guide you to the source. Make this spring be about more than just flowers and baseball; make this spring one of rebirth in your life. When you do, things will never look the same.



Written by Richard Pease
Divisional Controller

0 comments:

Post a Comment