Twitter Facebook Youtube Facebook

Friday, December 11, 2015

Blessed

Some friends stay close even when life moves us away from each other.  But the vast majority of people in our everyday lives fall away if work or family takes us to a new location.  They exist only in our memories as we move through life.  But this age of technology we live in keeps us connected to those marginal friends in ways never experienced before.  An email I received from a friend this week brought me news of a lady in a church I served at as Associate Pastor a number of years ago.  As I wrote her a note of encouragement, I was reminded of a conversation we had one Sunday morning before church.

Early one morning, I was at the door when she arrived for Sunday service; a nice lady who had lived a hard life. The personal hardships in her life could guide her mood into a grumpy or unhappy state. Her physical disabilities limited her actions and tired her mind and body.  Her German ethnicity could come across to Americans as harsh or cold at times.  While our conversations were pleasant, I often left feeling sadness over her circumstances.  But this one morning she took me completely by surprise.

It was the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I had no idea if she spent the holiday with family or friends, or if it was like any other solitary day for her.  When I asked how her Thanksgiving was, she smiled a big smile and with a twinkle in her eye, she simply said, "Blessed."  What could have happened around her complicated life that moved her so?  Our time together ended quickly as I was called away to other responsibilities.  I was unable to learn the secret behind her smile.  I do know that nothing had changed about her daily life or physical abilities.  Nothing was different about her, except her attitude.

Had she been invited to a family celebration over the weekend?  Was the care and attention given to her something she had long forgotten or never even experienced before?  Did she experience Jesus because others made space for her in their lives?  For the first time I left with a warm feeling inside.  Someone or something blessed her.  Now, she had passed this blessing on to me.

I once worked with a woman with twin teenage boys.  In the afternoons, I would sometimes overhear her on the phone with one of them.  It would be a check-in before they went on to after school activities.  She would often end her conversation with them by reminding them to "be a blessing" in whatever they were doing. I imagined them rolling their eyes on the other end of the line -- the weird thing Mom always says.  But I found it a wonderful thought.  What if we kept that thought closer to the front of our minds?

It makes me ask, "Have I done anything to change someone’s attitude?  Could I be the cause of someone feeling blessed today?"

Can I speak positive words about a friend to someone else?
Can I go out of my way to assist someone?
Can my family experience blessings from me instead of the remnants of my tiring day?

2 Corinthians 9:6-7 says "Remember this -- a farmer who plants only a few seeds will get a small crop.  But the one who plants generously will get a generous crop.  You must each decide in your heart how much to give.  And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure.  For God loves a person who gives cheerfully."

We typically use these verses in reference to money.  But it can also be applied to how we spend our time and interact with each other. Are we generous with our praise, our time, our concern?  There is a saying, "Spend kindness like it is money and pretend you are a billionaire."  Think of ways you can spend kindness on someone.  A way you can be a blessing to friends or strangers.  Put it on your to do list every day.  And then go out and spend like you are a billionaire.  


Written by Patty Craft
Grants Manager, The Salvation Army New Jersey Division

0 comments:

Post a Comment