Twitter Facebook Youtube Facebook

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Monuments

Over the Columbus Day weekend, my wife and I made our way to Gettysburg to camp and explore the area. We enjoy history and to me, one of the fascinating features of Gettysburg is the monuments to all of the units that participated in the battle. In addition to the battlefield monuments, there are also some like the New York memorial (pictured) that are in the National Cemetery which honors those who gave "the last full measure of devotion" for their country. 


As we wandered, I began to look for names on the monuments that might, in some way, be related to me. On the Pennsylvania monument I found one - Vincent Odell (pictured).


My maternal grandmother's maiden name was O'dell and her family was from the East, so it is possible that we're related some how. This discovery caused me to pause and think about what those three days must have been like, and what the families who came after to mourn must have felt. As I considered that perhaps my relative had fought here, I had a newfound appreciation for the bravery and sacrifice of those who had been on this hallowed ground in the summer of 1863.

Since that weekend, I have also thought more about the bravery and sacrifice of another man, Jesus Christ. Much like many of those soldiers at Gettysburg who sacrificed themselves on the altar of freedom, Jesus sacrificed Himself to save people who didn't even know Him yet.


In John 3:17 NASB we are told "For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him."

This verse is a promise from God that His Son died for each of us to be free and have a restored relationship with Him. Just like the monuments in Gettysburg which remind us of that battle, each Christian is a monument to the saving power of Jesus. One of my daily prayers is that my life is a monument that points people to the meaning of Jesus' sacrifice. If you want to be a monument, I encourage you to contact your local Salvation Army Officer or another minister and see how God wants to change your life and make you a monument to His mercy and grace.

Written by Richard Pease
Divisional Controller

0 comments:

Post a Comment