Twitter Facebook Youtube Facebook

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Let the Busyness Begin!

If your house is anything like mine, the relaxed pace of summer has been replaced by the non-stop frenzy of fall. At work, I'm closing in on fiscal year end activities, my wife has started a new job, our eldest is taking classes at our local community college and working his first job, our middle son is heavily involved in band and taking advanced placement test courses, and our youngest is being challenged by 7th grade. When you throw in church activities and our heavy involvement in Boy Scouts, it seems as if every minute of every day is packed before I even get out of bed. There are days where I wish I could just quit everything and start over, but then I realize that would accomplish nothing, as I seem to be incapable of saying no when asked to volunteer, so I'm sure I'd be quickly back where I started. When I feel like things are truly spinning out of control, I have three activities that help me get centered.

First, I spend some quiet time with God. I admit this isn't easy, but even taking five minutes to shut out the world and focus on God gives me a fresh perspective, renewed strength and less stress. On my phone, I have several go-to Scripture verses bookmarked that help me put my focus back on God. One such passage that I have cherished for more than 30 years is Psalm 46:1-3. In the New American Standard Bible it reads, "God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change And though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea; Though its waters roar and foam, Though the mountains quake at its swelling pride." When I take a few moments to meditate on this passage, the busyness and stress of my day melt away as I recognize that God has got my back, and no matter what I go through, He is in control.

My second strategy is to take a glance through the photo gallery on my phone. I love to take pictures with my family when we're out and about. Even though it annoys them at times, all those memories help me to see that even though we're busy, we have fun! That fun bubbles up to the front of my mind and helps me relax and realize that it's all worth it - after all, you only live once!

Finally, I try to do something physical. I confess that this is my weakest strategy as I never seem to find enough time to exercise, but I do feel better after going for a walk or spending a few minutes on the rowing machine. Even mowing the lawn or pulling weeds can help get some of that anxiety and stress out. I am hopeful that I can make this strategy more of a priority in the next few months as I can benefit from another benefit of exercise - losing a bit of weight.

I hope that you find my experience helpful as you navigate your busy fall. If you're looking for more help with managing the stress and frenzy of your life, I encourage you to visit your local Salvation Army and chat with an officer. If there is not a Salvation Army Corps near you, consider visiting another place of Worship and talking with the minister. It's amazing what happens when you get spiritually centered!


Written by Richard Pease
Divisional Controller

0 comments:

Post a Comment