Twitter Facebook Youtube Facebook

Friday, January 30, 2015

Put Down Your Stones

Believe it or not (and you should believe it), I struggle. I used to struggle with a great variety of issues - some spiritual and some social. Then, I realized just how linked they were. One of the most difficult issues I encountered was judging people. My problem with judging others wasn't that I did it too often, rather that I didn't understand what it was.

John 8:3-7 says:

The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group and said to Jesus, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?" They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her."

This is where I was tripped up!

You see, the way I understood judging meant that since I wasn't perfect, I had no right to bring up ANYTHING wrong with anyone else. My imperfections should not only limit but stifle my attempts to speak out about the behavior of others. I really missed the mark on this one! I was right in the sense that judgment was a task that I was not qualified for. Like the Pharisees in this passage, when we cast a net of judgment, we often become ensnared by it ourselves.

I was wrong because like them, my heart sat on a throne of hypocrisy as I cast down my judgments. Worse even still, I was dreadfully confused. In my lack of understanding, I had swapped a divine role with my earthly responsibility. Judging was not my job, but correction in the appropriate manner was!

James 5:19-20 says this:

My brothers, if anyone among you wanders from the truth and someone brings him back, let him know that whoever brings back a sinner from his wandering will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.

My place is not to judge, but I do have a responsibility to correct. How can I say I love my brother if I leave him in his sin (2 Tim. 3:16-17)?  How can I say to my daughter that I love her, yet neglect to correct her (Proverbs 13:24)? I couldn't. It wouldn't be possible. As I continue to understand these truths, I would ask that you journey with me. While you do, remember that the key to this equation isn't the correction. The key to this equation is the love.

Written by Lt. Darell Houseton
Newark Ironbound Corps

0 comments:

Post a Comment