Twitter Facebook Youtube Facebook

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Laboring for Christ and the Blessings that Emerge

Every Tuesday at our headquarters office, we have devotions from 11:30am-12:00pm. These very special 30 minutes are spent in prayer, worship and hearing a message from a fellow staff member or officer. I had the pleasure of speaking this morning. Hope this vlog (video blog) blesses you! If you prefer to read the transcript, it's below :)

-Elyse Jankowski, Community Relations Associate

Welcome back, everyone! Hope you had a wonderful holiday weekend. Though we just celebrated Labor Day, I know I’m not ready to say goodbye to summer, and it feels like the weather isn’t either. So, holding onto that sunny spirit, I’d like to share some of my experiences with The Salvation Army this summer. I know for me, it’s important to be reminded that our work here is good work that extends well beyond this building. Our work is for Jesus, and He is constantly behind the scenes, taking the little that we do as employees and officers and making a grand impact. This may seem like less of a devotion and more like story time, but I’ll bet you can see God’s hand in every account.

This summer, I was blessed to make several trips out to Camp Tecumseh. It’s always so much fun to see the kids just in their element, having a great time, wanting to pose for pictures. Their joy is contagious, and I could tell how much they valued the opportunity to be there. Those smiles are genuine, and we play a part in that.

Most recently, I went to Vets Camp last week. I remembered some of the veterans from last year, and some of them remembered me! They nicknamed me “Slim,” taught me how to play Spades, and we shared countless laughs. But not everything was fun and games. They told me stories of injustice, problems they’ve faced, hardships they’ve endured throughout their lifetimes that no one should. Perhaps it was the desire to finally release that pain which led eight veterans and family members to receive Christ at the altar the morning I was there. I can’t explain what it’s like to watch salvation happen. To witness lives transforming right in front of your eyes. I’ll never get tired of it.

My favorite day at camp this summer was one for the books. When I came back to DHQ the next day, I raved, “Forget being one of the best days as an employee of the Army. That was one of the best days of my life.” Three ladies from our Hurricane Sandy Recovery Group in Hazlet joined other woman at the Senior Lodge for a week of rest. They were three of the most incredible women I’ve ever met. As I interviewed them about how The Salvation Army has assisted them since Sandy, I nearly started to cry. I saw my grandmother in each one of them. She passed away suddenly in June and was a Hurricane Sandy survivor. My mom and I watched her fall into depression after the storm, having lost her home and several prized possessions. As the ladies from our group spoke, their emotions shifted from the heartbreak of the storm to the hope of their futures. They told of how wonderful it was to now have friends who understood them, to have a support system in the Army that they know can be counted on. I became so close to each woman over the course of the day that I decided to stay until nearly 8:00pm, just for fun. We went on the paddleboats, played shuffleboard, which my grandma excelled at, and they treated me like their own granddaughter. I was just as impacted by their beautiful spirits as they’ve been by The Salvation Army.

I also visited Corps and Service Units this summer. Red Bank’s Vacation Bible School was incredible. It was there that I met some fabulous volunteers, one who has volunteered for over 10 years and another for over 20! There must be something about The Salvation Army that keeps em coming back!

Sussex County’s Back to School distribution was great, as was Plainfield’s Christmas in July Bike Giveaway. Each drew families of all different sizes and needs, receiving tangible blessings.

And I could never forget my beloved Orange Corps, where I’ve been volunteering on Tuesday afternoons since January. The Summer Day Camp kids were different from the school year kids that I’ve grown so close to. I wondered if I’d be able to foster special relationships with a new group in a short amount of time. I’d say it was about three weeks before the hug brigade was in full force every time I walked through the door. The kids address the counselors and volunteers as Miss, so to them, I’m Miss Elyse. One day, precious Madison ran towards me in a fanatical greeting, shouting, “Mystery!” instead of Miss Elyse! I did not correct her.

It’s easy for me to get stuck in my own little world, or “the cave,” as I call my and Alex’s office. Sitting at my desk on the computer most days, while I’m doing good work, can leave me feeling a bit detached from whom I’m really doing it for. I value every trip I make to camp, a Corps or an event because I know I’ll come back with a story. One I can tell on our website or social media, one I can hold in my heart. I would encourage us all, whether we make similar trips or not, to remember that the spirit of The Salvation Army is holy. It’s extraordinary. On the day after Labor Day, let’s remember that we don’t have to go to work. We get to go to work for Him.

0 comments:

Post a Comment