Twitter Facebook Youtube Facebook

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Keeping Connected

Recently, my family decided to switch cell phone carriers in an effort to reduce our monthly cost. A result of this change has been a different level of connectivity for my smart phone. Most of the time, I don't notice a difference, but there have been occasions where I have wanted to check Facebook or post a photo to Instagram only to be stymied by a lack of network coverage. Initially, I was frustrated by this; however, I recently had an epiphany – whenever this has happened, I've been with my family, and the lack of coverage caused me to actually talk to my wife and kids rather than connect with them through social media. Needless to say, this has been a pleasant by-product of the change that I don’t want to give up.

As well as improving the connection to my family, I have also been reminded that I need to improve my connection with God, too. I recently reread 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 


"Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." (NASB)

and I had a renewed sense of what the Apostle Paul was saying. Prayer, as I see it, is communication with God, and Paul seems to be saying that we should be in constant communication with the Lord. There are so many benefits to maintaining this connectivity that I don't have the time to record them all, but here are a few that I see:

1.    There is a sense of peace that comes from telling the Lord how we feel.

2.    There is a sense of protection that comes from sharing our temptations with the Lord.

3.    There is wisdom in asking the Lord's opinion when facing decisions.


How is your connection with God? If, like my smart phone, you are sometimes disconnected, I encourage you to improve your connectivity by praying without ceasing and strengthening your relationship with the Lord. Unlike my wireless provider, improved connectivity is not dependent on external factors like cell towers and antennas; instead it is wholly dependent on your willingness to reach out to the Lord and talk.


Written by Richard Pease
Divisional Commander

0 comments:

Post a Comment