Twitter Facebook Youtube Facebook

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Be Faithful, Not Fearful

"Ultimately, we know deeply that the other side of every fear is freedom." -Mary Ferguson

What happens when you are faithful and not fearful? That's a good question, but honestly, I'm not 100% sure. I do know God is always with us, but I'd be lying if I said fear is not something I deal with.

Right now, I am about to finish school, and I just do not know what the next step is. On an even scarier note, I know what I'd like to do, but I can't properly articulate it because I'm not sure that type of job exists! So, there is a strong sense of fear. What am I going to do with my life? Where will I be doing it? How will I get there? When will it happen? Am I going to be a failure? These are the questions and fears that constantly go through my head. Part of me thinks if I think about this long and hard enough, magically something will happen and all this fixating will have paid off; but in all honesty, I know that is not even close to the truth.

The story of David and Goliath has to be one of my favorites because it is a story about faith. David is someone I want to be like, not only coming from a faith aspect, but David's perspective is something I strive for. Personally, I cannot imagine volunteering to go and fight this nine-foot man. Literally, Goliath was an all-fearing man…except to David.

David had a completely different perspective than the rest of the Israelites. In fact, the Bible says David ran to go and fight Goliath. He didn’t take his time; he volunteered to go fight him and then ran there. Wow! David literally ran toward everyone else's fear. But that is because David's perspective was different from everyone else's. In David’s eyes, God was the giant not Goliath. Goliath was simply an earthly man challenging the all- mighty God.

Can I ask you a question? When was the last time you ran toward a giant you were facing? For some of us, I know that may be difficult to recall, but that could be due to our perspective. David focused on God not Goliath. We tend to focus on "our giants" and stumble rather than focusing on God and allowing him to make "our giants" collapse. Max Lucado puts that a lot more plainly: "Focus on giants – you stumble; Focus on God – your giants tumble." That is exactly the perspective David had.

Part of me wonders, "When was Goliath actually defeated?" Was it the moment David picked up the sling shot or the moment he cut his head off, or was it the moment when David said he would go and fight him? In my opinion, Goliath was already defeated when David said: "(I) will go." Right there, it makes me see faith is not speaking or worrying about the "giants" - Faith is taking the very first step.

David was fighting a battle that was already won, because it was the Lord's. The same is true for us, and that is something we must always remember. So, today I am choosing faith over fear; what will you choose?



Written by Stephany Suarez
Senior Soldier
The Salvation Army Kearny Corps

0 comments:

Post a Comment